A couple weeks ago resident Lyn Landucci told me she might like to be featured in the resident blog, however we never got around to it. Mentioning it to her today she told me the interesting story of her life including her old business and how she met her husband John – read it here:

I was born in 1933 in Frankly Terrace, Harbourne, next to the swimming baths and when I was six months old my mother moved to Woodhouse road with eight children. My father walked out and left her, so she had the option of putting us in the Harbourne Bluecoat School but she said “No, I had you, I’ll keep you”. She did exactly that, working three jobs a day, she worked for Furber’s as an undertaker, at the picture house in Harbourne nicknamed the flea house and another picture house named the Royalty. During the night time we would sit on the floor and pin the flag for the lifebuoy while listening to Wilfred Pickles, Have a Go Joe and the Man in Black.

As we got older, my brother or one of our sisters would walk from the Woodhouse road to the law courts every Thursday to see if my father had left any money, nine times out of ten he hadn’t. When I was twelve years of age I worked in Court Oak road next door to Helen’s and George’s (the paper shop), it had an ice cream parlour to the side and I worked there three days a week for two and six – I gave the money to mum, so I didn’t keep it. When I was fourteen I got a new job and worked for him until I had Cheryl in 1961.

Me and my husband actually met around there, I was eighteen years old at the time and worked in the paper shop while John worked in the butchers on the corner. It was a Monday morning and I took the paper in, I saw John and told my boss “He looks a lovely man there”, on the Wednesday morning I went into the butchers without even knowing his name and asked what he was doing that day, he asked why and I said I’d take him to the pictures. We were married for sixty-one years.

We bought a house in West Boulevard in 1956, we sold it in 1977 to buy a shop in Quinton road West named “The VG Shop”, VG standing for very good, me and John had eighteen wonderful years there until retirement. Having the shop, we had no social life because of being so busy, we were lucky to get into here, giving us a much better one. At the shop I’d do homemade cakes and sandwiches for police every day, they used to phone up and order them, picking them up at about twelve o’clock. When we bought it the stock was run down, all they sold was VG cornflakes and jam, they let it get that way and by the time we left it was a thriving business. That’s why a lot of people know me, I’ve been in Quinton the whole of my life.

Lyn Landucci – William Lench Court resident

Pictured below - Lyn and her husband featured in the Chronicle newspaper.

If you enjoyed reading this please take a look at the rest of the posts featured in our resident blog.